Predatory Nature of Humans
In part 4, when Lennie, Candy, and Crooks were talking in Crook's room, Curley's wife enters. At first Candy and Crooks become the "predators" when Candy suddenly tells Curley's wife, "'I had enough...You ain't wanted here. We told you you ain't'" (79). Then, Crooks gets angry and says, "'You got no rights comin' on a colored man's room. You got no rights messing around in here at all. Now you jus' get out...If you don't, I'm gonna tell ast the boss not to ever let you come in the barn no more'" (80). At this point, Curley's wife turns the tables on them and tells Crooks, "Listen...You know what I can do to you if you open your trap?...I could get you strung up on a tree so easy'" (81). Then Candy tells Curley's wife that "'If you was to do that, we'd tell...about you framin' Crooks'" (81). But she just responds, "'Nobody'd listen to you'" (81). After that, Candy just becomes quiet and agrees with her. Curley's wife then becomes the "predator" in this situation by using her power over Crooks and Candy, and threatening them. I think that this will just keep the guys quiet about what happened that while everyone else was gone.
Comments
Post a Comment