What's the deal with Carlson killing Candy's dog and how does it connect to Lenny?

When Carlson came into the barracks, the first thing he says is to complain about Candy's old dog. He commented that the dog stank. "'God awmighty, that dog stinks. Get him out of here, Candy! I don't know nothing that stinks as bad as an old dog. You gotta get him out'"(44). Carlson then starts asking Candy why he doesn't just end the old dog's misery. Candy repeatedly rebuffs his attempts, saying that he had had the dog for so long, and he had herded sheep with him. After that, although the conversation moves to another topic, Carlson continues to pursue the topic, eventually insisting and offering to kill the dog himself, claiming that the dog wouldn't feel anything at all. Eventually, Carlson says that Candy could just get a new dog from Slim, who agrees with Carlson. At this point, Candy has to agree because Slim is somewhat of an authority figure, and what he said was law. "'That dog ain't no good to himself. I wisht somebody'd shoot me if I got old an' a cripple.' Candy looked helplessly at hum, for Slim's opinions were law." Finally, Candy agrees, and Carlson takes the dog out and shoots him. When Candy hears the shot, he lies down and turns away from the wall. This may connect to the main point of the story, as those who are helpless or worthless are eliminated, which may connect to Lenny.

Comments

  1. Great point but you have to admit that the dog was in a lot of pain. to candy it was fun having the dog around but the dog is in constant pain. i say that Carlson did good when he knew that the dog was suffering. Also there were new pups anyway so candy can raise a new dog to be with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's is a interesting connection you made between the killing of Candy's dog and Lennie's future, and it may turn out to be true in the future chapters. Obviously Lennie isn't necessarily the most useful and helpful person on the ranch, and eventually, people may just get tired of him holding them back from their potential like George said. "God, you're a lot of trouble. I could get along so easy and nice, if I didn't have you on my tail. I could live so easy!" (7). Just like Candy's dog, Lennie causes lost of trouble to the men on the ranch. We'll just have to see if he suffers the same unfortunate ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing connection. One thing that you said that I thought was interesting was comparing the dog's fate to Lennie's possible fate. You mentioned that worthless people were ostracized and gotten rid of, and compared that to Lennie and Candy's dog. However, you did not mention how Candy is so devastated by his dog being shot, sort of like when George says that he will miss Lennie if he were to go away and live in the woods. "I was jus' foolin', Lennie. 'Cause I want you to stay with me." (13). Another thing they I noted was that Lennie isn't exactly worthless. He was praised for his strength by others and how hard he could work by bucking barley. George says that he might not be the brightest, but still pitches in a ton of work on the ranch. And he isn't old or "expired" like Candy's dog was in Carlson's eye. So, although Lennie could be compared to Candy's dog in some ways, they can also be juxtaposed in many ways, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment