Is Curley's wife unfaithful?

As I was reading the book, I came across the part in Part 2 where Curley's wife is introduced to the story. Right off the bat, she is described as pretty with her eyes and face "heavily made up" (31). She immediately starts asking about her Husband's whereabouts, but she stays to ask multiple questions to George and Lennie, such as  "You're the new fellas that just come, ain't ya?" (31) and "If he ain't, I guess I better look someplace else," She said playfully. (31) The author makes a point of describing these parts as playful, and Curley's wife is quick to start talking to George and Lennie. This leads me to think that she could be unfaithful along with a conversation between George and Lennie in part 2 of the story. George scolds Lennie for being so attracted to Curley's wife, saying "I never seen no piece of jail bait worse than her". Candy also said earlier , "I seen her give Slim the eye", which also points to her being unfaithful.
Another thing that leads me to believe that Curley's wife is unfaithful is the fact that Curley is always "keeping his hand soft for his wife" which basically means that he is showing her off constantly to the other ranch men. This makes me believe that she is unfaithful, and he is trying to show other men that she is most definitely his and to back off from her.

Comments